ECI envisions an eastern Congo vibrant with abundant opportunities for economic and social development, where a robust civil society can flourish. ECI believes that these local, community-based approaches are the key to creating a successful society in eastern Congo. We also believe that public and private partnerships, combined with advocacy that drives public policy change and increased attention, will create new opportunities for the people of eastern Congo.
To achieve this vision, ECI advocates on behalf of the people of eastern Congo to:
- Increase investments from private and public funding sources to strategically support established Congolese-led programs that build safe and sustainable communities.
- Raise public awareness about the tremendous need in the region through targeted media and advocacy activities.
- Drive policy change that increases United States government engagement in Congo.
Eastern Congo Initiative supports Congolese organizations through direct grants to support local solutions for:
- Survivors of rape and sexual violence, including counseling, health, education, legal support, and income generation projects.
- Vulnerable children through health, education, and income generation projects as well as returning and reintegrating former child soldiers into their communities.
- Community-level peace and reconciliation programs, particularly those that shine a light on human rights atrocities and reduce impunity.