Director of Development (Washington DC)
ECI is seeking a Director of Development to work in our DC office and report to the ECI Managing Director (MD). This position will be a member of ECI’s senior leadership team and will contribute to fundraising, manage relationships with key partners and donors, manage operations including systems and priorities for the US-based team, and provide critical support to the MD in strategy, US-based advocacy and communications work, as well as the DRC-based programs.
The Director of Development will work closely with the Managing Director to meet performance objectives in fundraising and overall operations, and he/she will supervise a small team of US-based staff and consultants.
Major Responsibilities Include:
1) Fundraising and Relationships
- Play a lead role in setting organizational direction for fundraising in collaboration with the MD and other staff.
- Execute fundraising strategy and work to meet annual fundraising targets.
- Lead ECI decision-making and proposal development processes for potential new funding opportunities.
- Ensure strong relationships with donors and partners including major individual donors, governments, NGOs, corporate and foundational partners, among others.
- Manage preparation of private fundraising events, in coordination with the MD, other ECI staff, and consultants.
- Maintain database of partners and other key individual and institutional relationships.
- Ensure fundraising efforts are in line with organizational vision and mission as well as ECI policies, procedures, and operations.
- Oversee fundraising consultants.
2) US-based Operations
- Manage annual work plan as well as overall workflow and priorities for US office and US-based team in close consultation with the MD.
- Ensure quality systems and procedures are in place for maximizing work effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provide targeted support to US-based communications and public relations needs.
- Support MD in executing advocacy strategy and completing planned advocacy outputs.
- Integrate program learning and impacts into US-based advocacy work.
- Ensure communications, programs, and advocacy are linked to overall organizational strategy, mission, and vision.
3) Other Duties
- Manage special projects with/ for the MD.
- Provide additional support to the organization as needed.
- Clear demonstration of strong leadership and management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written English required, including strong writing and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage, be flexible, and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong stakeholder engagement and relationship management skills.
- Working knowledge of French strongly preferred.
- Entrepreneurial team player who is both a strategic thinker and detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work and thrive while under pressure or in stressful circumstances with a positive approach and can-do attitude.
- Proven ability to be solution-focused and approach challenges or conflicts by thinking outside the box.
- Master’s Degree in business, international affairs, political science, non-profit management or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience in progressive international business, non-profit or government.
- Experience in donor cultivation/fundraising and partnership building.
- Prior success securing funding from: major individual donors, bilateral, multilateral, foundation, and/or corporate funding sources.
- Experience managing staff and/or consultants.
- Experience managing complex projects and deadlines involving multiple stakeholders.
- Experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in DRC.
- Experience is preferred in one or more of ECI’s core programming sectors, including: agriculture/economic development, maternal and newborn child health, access to justice, and access to education and information.
- This position will be based in Washington, DC.
- Must be able and willing to travel up to 35% of the time. Travel can include international destinations in conflict-affected regions of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
How to apply
- Please send your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Write “ECI Director of Development” in the subject line.
- Candidates under consideration will be contacted by ECI.
- No phone calls please.
- Application deadline: rolling until position is filled.
ECI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.